1) JOY - It's an exciting adventure for a family to have. Especially my family. You see, both my husband and I come from academic families. EVERYONE has gone to university, including me! If we all get together for dinner, among the 10 of us we hold 16 university degrees or diplomas and can help almost any kid with homework: Business, Law, Education, Theology, Ecological Studies, Accounting, Biochemistry, History, English Lit, Human Kinetics, Public Relations, Psychology.. Yes, the person scooping your ice cream cone could well be a lawyer, teacher, minister, therapist or accountant. So for something completely different, we all bought an ice cream parlour and opened a bakery-cafe. It's exciting and fun! Fear not - we're not all theory. I'm a 4th-generation baker on my mom's side. She and I learned at my grandma's feet and as an artist once I discovered cake and pastry art I was in love with decorating.
2) CHALLENGE - Everyone except me (Alex) has a professional job, and is helping out only in his or her spare time. So we're not "mom and pop" - we're "mom and part-time pop." My mom helps four days a week doing my biz admin and marketing as well as baking and helping at the front. The rest of the family pitch in weekends, holidays and sometimes after work. But it's still tough (see #s 3 and 4)
3) JOY - I get to bring my baby to work, and experience his bubbly face, laughter and hugs all day, every day.
4) CHALLENGE: I have to bring my baby to work. Start-up businesses don't make money for a few years so I can't afford child care and I desperately need some a lot of the time.
5) JOY - I get to see my husband, parents, and inlaws a lot and they get to spend time with the baby.
6) CHALLENGE - I get to see my husband, parents, and inlaws a lot.
7)JOY - I have lots of professional advice, particularly legal (dad), business administration (mom), and accounting (both inlaws).
8) CHALLENGE - Sometimes it's hard to make a decision on my own - I feel like I have to discuss everything with at least two people.
9) JOY - If the business succeeds, we all succeed.
10) CHALLENGE - If the business fails, I'm going to owe a lot of money to some relatives for a long time.